This number does not include:
- The number of fish caught illegally,
- Fish killed as bycatch and discarded,
- Fish who escape from nets and die later,
- Fish killed accidentally by lost fishing equipment (ghostfishing),
- Fish who will be used as live bait,
- Or fish killed for sport.
Although fish can feel pain and suffer like other animals, there are probably no laws in the US that protect fish used for consumption. Similarly to land animals who are killed for food, fish are abused and suffer painful deaths.
how Fish are used
Most fish are eaten by humans or used in products such as fish oil, protein supplements, or gelatin. Fish byproducts, such as fishmeal, are fed to farmed fish or land animals raised for consumption.
We need a better, more just, food system that is not built on the suffering of sentient animals.